Sunday, August 29, 2010

Team Darcy

So awhile ago I was out shopping with my mom and couldn't find a single damn thing I'd ever want to be seen wearing. Everything seemed to either make you look pregnant or have something to do with "Twilight". Stuff like this:


Blech. Freaking Twilight, with it's stupid sparkly vampires and emo werewoles. Gross. Anyway, this somehow turned into me deciding that instead of all this "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob" bullshit we should all just start choosing "teams" from classic literature; Pride and Prejudice, Romeo and Juliet....Harry Potter (oh shit, that's a brilliant idea! Nobody steal it!). The first thing that sprang to mind was "Team Darcy", because really, isn't Pride and Prejudice's Mr. Darcy the epitome of classic literature's romantic hero? Seriously, Colin Firth could kick Robert Pattinson's ass any day of the week (at least, y'know, if it were like an acting skills fight). Darcy would be like "Psh, sparkly skin's for girls" and then Edward Cullen would go cry emo tears in a forest while listening to Snow Patrol or something.

Anyway, I jokingly told Jennifer about my idea and she immediately demanded that I make her a "Team Darcy" shirt. It was supposed to be for her bachelorette party, but...uh...I've never been great with deadlines (hence not getting it to her till 2 months after her wedding..oops?).

But today, FINALLY, I hijacked J's printer (and iron), made use of some iron on transfer paper, and finished my masterpiece (I'd designed the graphic ages ago so the hard part was done):



Okay, not the best picture 'cause the one I took with my actual camera and not my phone isn't uploading properly, but this still gives you a good idea. I'm honestly very proud of it, even if Sam of (miss)Adventures in Cooking mercilessly makes fun of me (don't listen to her, she totally wanted to wear shirts like this to work at B&N, she said so months ago when I first told her the idea. Also, I'm pimping her and Frankie's cooking blog so she better learn to keep her trap shut. Got that, Sami?!). I was originally going to make the picture take up more of the shirt, but Jennifer pointed out how that would make it harder to read the text (okay, really what she said is the text would wind up stuck under your boobs and then people wind up awkwardly staring at your chest trying to read your shirt without looking like a straight up perv).

So that was fun and remarkably easy. Iron on transfers seem to work way better than they did when I was a kid. Maybe I'll make more shirts if I have any more brilliant and nerdy brainstorms, so don't go stealing my ideas (especially that Harry Potter one). Seriously. I'll hurt you.

P.S. Stay tuned to SoyChaiBookshelf for pics of the shirt actually being worn (Jennifer promised she'd put up pics and now that I've written about it here she has to follow through. 'Cause you have to do whatever the internet says...right?)

4 comments:

  1. AHAHAHA THAT IS FUCKING AMAZING AND I LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I of course love the shirt but this is actually better: http://www.spreadshirt.com/team-guy-who-hit-bella-with-car-C3380A5475395, particularly for the haters. :]

    I love it!

    Also, if you want a lazy HP costume: http://www.spreadshirt.com/hufflepuff-C3384A6189032

    Okay, so now I'm just looking at t-shirts. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. In case I did not make it clear, I love my Team Darcy shirt. It's the bestest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that Hit-Bella-With-a-Car shirt is funny, but kinda ugly.

    ReplyDelete