Saturday, August 7, 2010

Just be alert when your pants are down...

Ugh!! I am so cranky over this stupid internet dating shit. It is so stupid!! I meet a guy on there, we have a few cute, flirty emails, I suggest meeting for coffee and get this weird, evasive deferral. He doesn't even explain it, just doesn't answer me and when I bring it up again is all, "Oh, we'll figure it out."

Thanks, guy, isn't that what I'm trying to do now? So I figure, okay, he's nervous, I'll just give him a bit of time and wait for him to bring it up.

He keeps IMing me and I reply, but now it's been maybe two weeks and I'm starting to get impatient (I'm looking for a date, not an internet boyfriend I never meet), and then he mentions maybe we should talk on the phone. Now I'm not so good on the phone even with someone I actually KNOW let alone some guy I've barely spoken to online. So finally, after declining the phone call invitation, I say "Look, guy, I'm just confused about why you didn't want to meet," and he explains that he just wants to get to know me better online and over the phone first so we don't meet and have a horrible experience.

Okay, I guess I get that, but to be honest - I'd way rather have a bad meeting over coffee that lasts an hour than spend weeks getting to know a guy I've never seen or spoken to just to decide we have absolutely no chemistry yet are now somewhat emotionally entangled and now I'm stuck breaking up with a guy who I'm not even dating!!!

(blogs are fun because you're totally allowed run-on sentences)

At work the other day I was distractedly skimming Gawker and found this article (which is really just pointing out yet another article) stating:

"Of all the new findings, among the most interesting is this: Less is more...That's because when people exchange a lot of information, they find more reasons to believe that they're very different, researchers say."

Being the picky little bitch I am, I whole-heartedly agree. I'm already terrified of this dating thing and looking for a reason to run for the hills. By telling me how much you love curling up for a night in watching "The Bachelor" and how you think Fox News is the absolute peak of journalistic integrity, you're just giving me more reasons to pack up and consider entering witness protection. How about we just leave a little mystery, save the scary, intimate confessions until at least date two, maybe even date three, just to be safe.

To make my point further, I think I'll turn to a quote that came to mind from one of my favorite Twitter pages (now a book and soon to be a TV show), @shitmydadsays:

"That woman was sexy...Out of your league? Son. Let women figure out why they won't screw you, don't do it for them."

And that, I think, sums up this long, stream of consciousness ramble quite nicely.

Goodnight.

1 comment: